Q: What is a glow stick?
A: A glow stick is a single-use transparent plastic tube including isolated materials which when combined are capable of generating light through a chemical reaction-induced chemo luminescence which does not need an electrical power supply.
Q: How to activate them?
A: To activate:
1. bend (to break the internal glass capsule)
2. shake (until it glows evenly)
Note: Do not bend activated glow sticks any more; excessive bending may break the plastic tube what will result in leakage.
Q: How long do they last?
A: Glow in the dark products will glow 5 to 12 hours, depending on size, color, type and the ambient air temperature.
Q: How to turn them off?
A: They cannot be turned off once activated, they will not stop glowing until the chemical reaction has finished.
Q: Does temperature affect the glow time?
A: Yes, it does. Higher temperatures will make glow stick glow brighter but will shorten the glow time. With lower temperatures the glow will be a little bit duller but will glow for a longer period of time.
Q: How to store light sticks?
A: Glow sticks should be stored in a cool dry place, in their original packaging, away from direct sunlight. Heat and humidity will shorten their life span.
Q: Are glow sticks safe?
A: The liquid light source is non-toxic, no heat or harmful radiation is produced. Contact with the eyes or ingesting of the fluid should be avoided, as irritation will result. There is also the possibility of allergic reaction, please keep in mind that under normal use you will never come in contact with the fluid.
1. The activated liquid even though non-toxic may contain tiny shards of glass which may cause injury should the light stick be punctured or split open. The liquid can permanently stain clothing or furniture and can cause skin or eye irritation. Some light stick products may contain small elements, posing choking hazards.
2. Light sticks are not suitable for children under 6 years of age without adult supervision. Do not puncture or split open.